Besides earning extra cash taking surveys, did you know you can make money taking and selling photos straight from your smartphone? In this article, we’ll take you through the basics of mobile photography and how you can monetize on this up-and-coming trend.
Tips for taking ready-to-sell photos
Not sure where to get started? First, you want to select a subject. Some popular photography categories include:
- People and portraits
- Tools and gadgets
- Cities and landscapes
- Nature and travel
Picking out a category will help keep your content focused. If you haven’t spent much time on professional photography, here are some tips to get you started.
Gridlines can help you take a straight and balanced shot. When using a grid, incorporate the “rule of thirds” by positioning the key points of your photo along the lines or intersections of your grid.
Keep your camera focused
Your phone camera should be set to focus on objects automatically by default. However, it won’t always zero in on your intended subject. To readjust your focus, simply tap your subject on your phone screen.
Use a specific subject
A cluttered photo may look interesting, but you’ll often find it failing to sell. Instead, focus on one specific subject and arrange it to stand out.
Use negative space
Create drama by maximizing the space around your subject. This will allow your subject to pop out.
Utilize an interesting perspective
When focusing on a single subject, take multiple shots from various angles. You might find an interesting one.
Refrain from zooming
If your subject is further away than you’d like it to be, it can be tempting to use your zoom feature. However, this can end up making your picture blurry or pixelated. Try getting closer to the subject instead.
Don’t use flash
If possible, use natural light when you can. Using your flash can wash out your subject. If your photo is too dark, use an editing tool to adjust the exposure.
How to start selling photos
Selling your photos online is a fairly straightforward process. Follow these simple steps to get started.
Pick an app or site to sell on
When starting out, focus on one photo-selling app or site, as this is easier to maintain. If you don’t have success with one, you can always try another. Here are a few apps you can use to sell your pictures:
Some of these apps host weekly contests that you can join to earn even more money. Some are even exclusive to smartphone photography and will send funds either through PayPal or directly to your bank account. All apps are available on iOS and Android.
Create your account
Make sure your profile is complete and reflects only accurate information. Some networks take a little over a week to review your application, so it’s a good idea to get ahead when you can.
Upload and sell
Once you’ve started taking well-composed photographs, it’s as easy as uploading high-quality copies of your photos and waiting for a bid.
To maximize the amount of money you make, take note of these tips.
- Pay attention to trends. If you know what’s hip on the market, you’ll increase your chances of selling photos that feature these specific subjects.
- Upload multiple photos every time. You may take great photos, but not everyone will agree. Upload several photos at once to get more people interested in buying them.
- Use relevant tags and descriptions. How you describe your photos can make a bigger difference than you think. Using tags to label them can also make it easier for users to find them.
- Shoot at full-size. The more sizes you offer, the more options users will have to choose from, which will increase your chances of selling.
- Don’t use filters. Every now and then, using a filter on your photos can make them look more attractive. However, this isn’t always the case. Upload your raw photos to attract a larger audience.
You don’t need to be a professional to be able to grow a following for your photography online. In the best-case scenario, trial-and-error will help you sell even more.
For more about making easy cash, affiliate marketing, and micro-investing, hit us up at Zero Effort Cash!